Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABB Robots 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveMeisel

Automotive
Jun 13, 2002
US
Our Die Cast Engineers are going to purchase some ABB Robots Model # IRB 4400 with S4Cplus Controllers. They will be used to extract the castings out of the die cast machines and possibly place them on a trim die. Anybody have any comments on these? We have one other big robot and it is a Moto Man and we have a small table top Seiko robot. All comments are welcome as I may have to do some integration of these to our machines.

Thanks.
Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ABB robots are a good choice. We have 6400's and also some fanuc robots. I prefer the ABB's. The teach pendant is a little harder to master but this will come in time. The fanuc are o.k. but the abb are better. We use are ABB's to pick parts from a trim press. We integrated the robot controller to the press via DH+ to a SLC 5/04.

As with any new project training is a must. Send your electricians to the ABB school to learn the controllers. They also have programming schools available.

eln

I also like the ABB robots. We use them for welding. the software is good and they are easy to manuever and teach. Also, when you need it, service is very good.

Thanks Ragee/Russ for taking the time to post the bit about Crimson Editor as well as writing the brief FAQ. It looks like a much better method than notepad. The multitude of Syntax looks like it will really come in handy.
I'm sorry it took so long to respond. I've not been able to get near the PC to accomplish much of anything it seems like. I wanted to be sure and get it downloaded and checked out before I responded.
If it wouldn't be too much trouble I'd like to bother you for the Syntax files.

jwh.easi@verizon.net

Ke4ghc,

The syntax files for crimson editior will be on there way. I will also Try to post the text from these files on this forum. I think my comment about robot studio brought the attention of the administrator & he removed my faq which really annoyed me, at no time had I mentioned that I would be charging for these services. Iam more interested in developing a reputation, there is no better advertising than word of mouth. The program consulting is not an option as a business line for us in any case as our systems intergrator agreement with ABB will not allow it. So I do apollogise to the programming consultants that I may have upset.

Well 1 or our ABB robots is finally in operation! What a mess. The maintenance dept did all the physical work (installation, fencing, wiring, etc) and took their time about doing it. I did the programming on the plc side, and the ABB service tech did the robot side. We still have another to install. It is a nice machine. We are running it at 25% of full speed. Extracting from an cold chamber die cast machine. Placing the castings in front of fans (12 differant positions) then dropping the oldest casting onto a chute to a trim press. Our first robot in the die casting dept. Finally they are moving forward with technology. We recently (within the last 3 years) finally put ladles and sprayers on all the machines!

Steve,

Way to go, it is nice to hear that you are dragging them into the future. It is my bet they are kicking and screaming the whole way. I might suggest that you take a class or two on robot programming though. Calling a service rep to do all your programming will cost you a lot. Besides it is a lot of fun.

eln

steve would you please let me know as how to integrate the SLC/PLC with ABB robo. in my plant an ABB robo will be errected and i think it is going to work stand alone. The project contractor not yet furnished the details of the control system other than the Functional description. Is it possible to communicate over DH+?, through messaging?
or is there any optional board we have to buy along with the robo's standard package?. I am asking this because we have two motoman welding robos and unfortunately the integrator does not want to revel much of the things. the TEACH box.. i am really fedup with that.If it is through PLC i feel ok. feel free to ask if you need any further clarifications

Our robots have S4C PLUS controllers in them. They came with 16 Programmable Digital Inputs and 16 Programmable Digital Outputs.
We are getting ready to order 2 more and I have requested for the optional DH+ card.
The quote for your robot should tell you how you will communciate to the robot with your SLC.

Ask for helping

thanks ahead everyone who can give me any suggustion or help, where I can get the abb robot software "Rapid" or programming manuals, I have lots of plc and hmi(scada) software, we can change to each other.

thanks

steven

We are die casters too (4000+ tons)and use ABB robots in our fully automatic cells from pour to extract, trim and place on dunnage. They are extreemly efficient workhorses.

Good to see that others are also using this robot in very challanging envoirnment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back