Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

about EDS Vis VSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankzheng

Automotive
Oct 21, 2003
CA
Hi,all,

Anyone ever use the EDS Vis VSA before? People told me it very good on assembly tolerance stackup.

We are using I-deas and UG, but we do not have teamcenter. So is it possible to just install Vis VSA on our computer without purchase the teamcenter?

Thanks.

Frank

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not quite sure what you mean by "Teamcenter", all EDS Products now seem to be sold as some part of a Teamcenter bundle but I haven't really understood what the term refers to. I guess their marketting hasn't worked on me!

Anyhow, Vis VSA can be purchased as a stand alone product without any of the other EDS products being required for it to run.

thanks,RCDLtd. Yes, it seems that the VSA now is one of Teamcenter package which called Teamcenter visualization.

By the way,Do you know what is the current version of Teamcenter visualization? and what was its name before the Teamcenter visualization.Is it "VIS VSA production?

Thanks a lot.

I'm running Teamcenter Visualisation 5.0 which I believe is the latest - ie. I haven't had any update CDs above 5.0 and my Maintenance is up to date.

Before bundled as Teamcenter Visualisation they were known as the separate products ie. EDS Vis VSA, Vis Mockup, Vis View, Vis Jack, Vis Publish and probably more. And before that they were EAI Vis VSA etc. EAI being a company bought by SDRC before it was acquired by EDS.

EAI was bought by UGS, not SDRC.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Not to my recollection, EAI was bought by SDRC who inturn was purchased by EDS, who at the time also owned UGS. But, what-ever, it doesn't effect the answer to the question.

RCDLtd - looslib was in fact correct, UGS bought EAI in 2000 IIRC. Then EDS bought SDRC and then EDS took full control of UGS after already having a part-share. I should know as I work for UGS and in fact started work with VSA in '99 :)

If Frankzheng still wants help with VSA i will do my best but the original message is quite old.

UGS Info:
My version: VSA is an add-on to VisMockup (you need to buy both). With it you can analyse stack-ups and variation of 3D models (converted to jt format, from any CAD tool). You add details of the variation to the dimensions/features you are interested in. This can be based on part measurements, industry standards, etc (can even put in "distribution shapes" like binomial or normal).

If you use NX, and you just want to do tolerance stacks, there has been a "Quick Stack" tool available, which is changing to "Tolerance Stackup Validation (TSV)" in upcoming releases.

Terry

Generally, people look to these tools when "doing it in your head" becomes un-manageable.

GM's biggest use is for engines. Making sure the sucker will bolt together when the tolerances from hundreds of parts interact with a Friday afternoon on the assembly line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back