Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

About T,K or Y connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirhosseini

Industrial
Dec 4, 2003
IR
According to item 4.12.4.1 of AWS D1.1, qualification for CJP tubular groove weld requires a test coupon conformanced with figure 4.27 and a sample test.
In figure 4.27 minimum nomial OD is 6 in.
As I know we can find qualified range in Table 4.2 and as per T4.2 a pipe with OD 6 in. qualified 6 in. and over pipes.

Please tell me:

1- If I have a T,K or Y joint with pipe diameter less than 6 in. how I can support this WPS. I want know about size of PQR coupon.
2- About size of sample test or mock-up. Is there any limitation in size of sample test or mock-p?

regards
H.Mirhosseini

Regards
H.Mirhosseini

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mirhosseini:
1.) Qualification of the test in figure 4.27 would qualify pipe diameters 4" and above per Table 4.2 @ 6" diameter (Standard Test Pipes).

2.) If you require a smaller diameter to qualify, then you have the option of the 2" sch. 80 or 3" sch. 40 which would qualify you from 3/4" to 4" maximum diameters (again, Standard Test Pipes).

Now, if your application requires a smaller diameter for a T, Y or K type of connection, I would try to use the prequalfied details in Section 3 (Figures 3.5, 3.6, 3.8, 3.9 or 3.10) as applicable to your design. Qualify your weld by mock-up of the actual conditions used in production and use 4.12.4.1 as your acceptance criteria. If dihedral angles <30 degrees are required, don't forget the macroetch specimens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back