About Tilt-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerRanger

Structural
Jan 17, 2005
AU
Hi Fellows

I would like to jump into the tilt - up area, but my knowledge is very limit. I am a young structural engineer, and I have designed the panel in its final condition. Should I design the lifting point and anchor, etc. Or I can just pass to the Anchor supply company, or pass to the builder. Because this is my first tilt-up design, so I don't know what is my responsibility. Should I organised all the party's involved (crane supply, anchor supply, builder, etc) before my further design. Or should I just finish the design of the final condition. Then don't need to worry what method they are going to put it up. Is there any efficient way to manage a tilt-up design from begining to end?
If a 3m height and 6m width panel only design for cladding, is it 120mm thickness with SL92 is fair enought, or should I still go 150mm for lifting purpose without strongback.

Your story will be helpful.

PowerRanger

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Cement Concrete & Aggregates Australia ( have a great publication, T55-2005: Guide to Tilt-up Design and Construction for about A$50. It's also available in downloadable format if you need it ASAP. The guide is pitched at designers, rather than constructors, so will have all the information you need to design anchor points, etc.

As for whether you're responsible for the design of that element, check with your company's project manager regarding your scope of services. There's no point doing it if it's excluded from your scope.

Other resources to consider for construction and safety are AS 3850-2003 Tilt-up concrete construction and T50-1997: Tilt-up Construction Notes (both available from Standards Australia). In Western Australia, in response to several fatalities and serious injuries associated with tilt-up, the state government has published a Code of Practice for Tilt-up and Precast Concrete Construction (

If you're company is doing the detailed design and documentation, then you're probably likely to have to design the lifting, bracing and fixing inserts.

If you're client has a preferred contractor for the works, you might be able to discuss the proposed bracing arrangement and cast-in items with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back