Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offsite

Materials
Feb 12, 2003
AE
Hello every body.
I must say to you that it is first question since I consult this site which is as follows: Is there
a procedure of inspection being based on nomrs or standards of the API tubes 5L X52 stocked since 12 years for my case and which one wants using for new project after all these years.

Thank you for your answers.
(Excuse for my english)!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Firstly API 5l X 52 is a line pipe specification.

The number of years of storage is of no consequnce, that is it does not matter, so long as the material is tracable to its certificates and the original markings are available and the surface condition of pipes (Both inside and out side) is satisfactory and the required dimensions are intact (That is Thickness and Dia, Ovality, Straightness ETC)

If you want to devise an inspection plan you may refer to API 5l for the dimensional portion and for suface condition you may refer EN 10163.

To give you briefly as to what is necessary to check to process further

1) Get the current specification (Purchase/Use spec, that is current requirement) and check whether you want PSL 1 or PSL 2. If PSL 2 is required then refer to old certificate whether the results meets PSL2 requirements. If not do not proceed ahead in case of doubt perform thorough check Test (Both Physical analysis and Chemical analysis) to confirm the adherance to the requirement.

2)Spread all the pipes and check inside and out side Visual check (All Pipes do not compromise, if need be appoint some agency to carry out the check) and dimension check. Take help of EN 10163 for acceptance condition for surface pittings.

3)You may (Randomly in some pipes, assuming that the API numbering and Certificates are intact) perform end radiography to boost your confidence to use the pipes and you may also perform random Ultrasonic testing of welds for the same reason.

If you intend to use the pipes in plant piping, be confident for ANSI 31.3 permits even the the use of refurbrished pipes so long as the thickness is available.

Good Luck

PS: Do not worry too much about your english, this is a technical forum and not a Grammar forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back