Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Above ground fire service piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

canman

Civil/Environmental
Feb 28, 2003
US
Hi everybody, I could sure use some advice on this one. I need to provide a 6" fire service line to a building here in Southern California that is on private property. Normally this would not be an issue but the building fire riser is exposed along the wall of the basement floor outside of the building. The owner doesn't want to dig under an existing retaining wall which separates the building from the ground, thus allowing for an open staircase down to the basement. He wants to core drill about 3 feet down the retaining wall and then turn the pipe 90 degrees south. The pipe would run vertically along the wall to the botoom of the basement then turn 90 degrees again and connect to the fire riser. Since this pipe will be exposed to the weather and feed a building fire riser my questions are as follows:

1) Can I use flanged ductile iron pipe in lieu of steel or copper.
2) If I use ductile iron pipe should it have a minimum 1 mil thick asphaltic coating? I think the exposed pipe should be painted red but would paint stick to the coating?
3) This is southern california, thus should this pipe have some sort of seismic protection such as flexible restrained fittings per NPFA requirements?

Thanks for the help in advance - Canman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back