above ground painting systems for pipelines (Natural Gas) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cesar Almada

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2020
US
Hello guys, good morning

I hope you are well and had a great thanksgiving if you celebrated.

I have a question about if you have seen a table where you could check the different types of environmental and you could check what is the best system of painting for above ground painting? I remember that I saw something like this in API or ASME but I hope you could help me please with this.

Thank you so much, have a great day

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Only ever seen this in company specification and standards.

What do you mean by "different types of environmental"?

Define "best" - cheapest?, longest lasting? easiest to apply? nicest colour?
Factory applied or site applied? surface preparation makes a big difference.
As does temperature of the pipe or the location.

Basically too many variables to have a simple chart.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Maybe I saw a chart from my last company that was for example (no real):

System Number: 1 / Application: If the environmental is salty and humidity with temperatures of 80 Celsius / Surface preparation: Near white blast cleaning / Primer coat: Polyamine/ Intermediate coat: None / Finish coat: Polyamine epoxy 4 mils.

But I thought that was from ASME or API, maybe is from each painting company or maybe as you said company standards.

Thanks

Is there any relevant system other than surface prep to paint mfg spec, inorganic zinc primer topped with surface tolerant epoxy primer followed by an optional cosmetic coat?

I would love there to be an answer I can download and keep....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Is there no zinc rich polyamine epoxy primer available? Would it help?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Following up on TBEs comment
The charts that I have seen were end user specific.
They usually had three classes of service (arid with high UV, marine/coastal, all else).
They were all three layer systems with IOZ base.
The coating thickness, main coat, and top coat were slightly different based on service.
They tried to offer two options for each coating.
Sometimes there were special notes about 'extended sub-freezing service'.
I have seen technical papers where people compare different coating systems.
The problem is that often in one region you can't buy the same materials as in another.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

You can refer to ISO 12944-5, protective paint systems. It has Tables listing various types of primers, paints and coating thicknesses for varying degrees of corrosion and environment protection.

They key is that IOZ and epoxy based systems are the most economical, best performing, and regulatory compliant (VOC) all in one package. Except for niche applications such as extreme cold and hot there really isn't a reason to deviate from this one system.

You may need other systems for repair or marginally prepared surfaces but this is for new construction, right?

As Ed alluded to, regional available is going to dictate the exact products used.

corrosion_vfkbda.jpg

Thanks to everyone, I found an image in Spanish that I used to use in Mexico in my old work, but I would like to found something in English.

I think that everything comes from ISO as BCD said.

Thanks

Be careful about specifying inorganic zinc primer. It is a superior primer, but only if used correctly. Field application is tricky, to the extent that it is seldom attempted, in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back