Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Above Ground Pool Foundation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwooten

Civil/Environmental
May 19, 2005
US
Along my part of the Gulf Coast, it is pretty common to install a fiberglass pool above ground / partially buried when near the Gulf. This installation requires bracing the outerwalls.

I have a client who has asked for a foundation design for this scenario. It has been awhile since I put together a structural foundation design, but I am thinking piles and grade beams. I will have to make considerations for storm wave action and possible wind loading.

Am I over-simplifying the problem, or do ya'll think it is straightforward? Have I overlooked a key issue? Let me know your opinions and experience. I told the client I would let him know tomorrow if we will take on the work.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you checked with the pool manufacture/supplier, they may have some basic layout/requirements on the supporting structure/foundation system.

Unless somebody here has first hand design experience on the fiberglass pool, without knowing material properties, local soil conditions, I doubt you would get the timely feed backs you are seeking.

If you haven't done similar project for a while, don't rush in, buy sometime to collect adequate information to safe guard yours and your client's interests.

Good luck on your meeting.

If the pool is partially buried, then your primary concern would be hydrostatic uplift, not settlement. When you excavate for the pool you'll be removing material that has a unit weight of 95 to 105 pcf. You'll replace that with water and a light pool shell, certainly less than 95 to 100 pcf. Therefore, the specific area under the pool will be subjected to less load than it currently feels.

The foundation will likely need to be an anchor for the pool and you'll need something for sidewall support. You could form and grout or pour concrete in as sidewall support. Be careful to place slowly so as not to collapse the wall from excess pressure from the plastic concrete.

Thanks all. My primary concern is wave action and wind causing uplift/scour/washout. I am meeting today to get a general site layout and manufacturer's info. I will know more after I review the manufacturer's data for lateral support and tie down recommendations.

Check out general soil types, and seasonal fluctuation on local groundwater table, as these will have significant impact on your design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back