Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Abrasion Resistant Fabric, diamond coating? Looking for suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonsteimel

Mechanical
Oct 19, 2010
US
Greetings,
A specific component I use is made of 400 denier Neoprene coated Nylon fabric and is in contact with the ground. It must remain flexible, relatively lightweight, and mostly impermeable to air.

Only a portion of the fabric is in contact with the ground, so ideally I only need to protect the contact area.

I've made sew-on wear patches out of some real heavy stuff but it does not work well. It effects performance and the sewn joints are still prone to abrasion.

There are a number of wonderful coatings out there that offer abrasion resistance but nothing wants to stick to nylon, especially once it start flagellating in water/wind.

I was wondering if of the chemical guys have any suggestions. I noticed there is a lot of cloth sand-paper around. It would be great if I could coat the contact area with a diamond or aluminum oxide coating, but I am a mechanical guy not chemical.

I could switch the base material away from nylon in order to get something to stick, so long as it is flexible, relatively lightweight, mostly impermeable to air and has a decent tear strength.

Does anyone have any experience with abrasion resistance coatings on fabrics? Any suggestions?
Thanks,

VS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back