Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

abrasive cut off wheel for NIHard 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmoose

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2003
US
Some manufacturers offer different abrasive cut off wheels for "vary hard ferrous metals" and even mention NiHard generically. They do not explain if the wheel material is other than aluminum oxide.

Has anyone had good success cutting NiHard 1 with a chop saw type abrasive cut off blade?

thanks

Dan T

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For cutting hard materials you want a "soft" wheel. "Soft" refers to the binder system rather than the type of grit. A soft wheel readily wears away while cutting, constantly exposing fresh grit. Resin bonded wheels are considered soft; rubber bonded wheels considered hard.

update -
Generic 0.040/0.045 Thin cut off 4.0/4.5 inch wheels from Lowes/H Depot worked quick and slick to a depth of 0.4 inches or so hand held, when side drag started melting/tearing the wheel.

With my 14 " chop saw cutting simply ceased at about 1\8 inch deep.
Dressing the wheel, and practically sitting on the handle did not change that

If your wheels start to melt then you have two options.
A softer binder system will allow the the wheel to wear and expose new abrasive.
The other option is to cut wet. For NiHard and white irons that was always my preferred option. But then you do need waterproof saws and a way to handle the spent water loaded with abrasive and residue.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Tmoose, I have been using abrasive cut of wheels for Nihard and high chrome irons. These are about 3 mm thick,have a depressed centre and range from 7" to 10" in diameter. 7" wheels are more popular. The only risk is them breaking,if not held firmly.

Abrasive cut-off wheels from a mill supply house will have an ANSI code marked on them. The code has 6 positions, with the 5th signifying the bond type. You want a "B" code for a resin bonded (soft) wheel. Consumer type chop saw wheels may or may not be marked in this manner, which results in trial and error/guessing. It may be that the default option is a rubber bonded wheel(R code) to alleviate breakage and prevent injuries in the hands of novices.

Hi Arunmrao - could you provide the manufacturer, model, ANSI code, etc of the wheels that are working well for you ? Are you cutting > 1 inch thick/deep?

thanks !

Dan T

The ANSI code is B7.1, else EN 12413. I just finished trials on a brand : Arbitron , made in Thailand but supplied by a German dealer. It performed well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back