Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ABS Standard for Lift Boat Drilling Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

edohma

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2021
US
Hello everyone. I am new to the world of marine engineering and I am looking for help finding the necessary ABS (or equivalent?) standards that govern lift boat drilling rigs. I am responsible for designing a cantilever platform that extends off the boat. This cantilever will have the drill and all required equipment for operation. I included a picture that shows a similar cantilever design.

I have the "LRFD for offshore structures" document which gives info on some of the loads due to the drill, pipe rack, etc. Is there any standards that have loads for winds, ice, ship angle while at sea? Or are these typically given by the vessel designer? Also, are there specific standards I am missing that would cover designing this type of cantilever structure?

Thanks All

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=832b10a6-c984-4510-a803-7205679c472d&file=Oil_Rig_Cantilever.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not reviewed the drawing at the link provided, but I would not get involved with a complicated project like this as my first project "at sea". Just the forces from the ship's movement is enough to scare me off. Add winds AND ice? Never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back