Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AC and DC HiPot Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

eskim

Electrical
May 25, 2003
ID
Dear All,

What is the based difference between AC and DC HiPot tester. When I test HV equipment e.g. Surge arrester, cable, generator winding, etc. What is the best method using ac or dc tester ?

Some one told me that mA is the "most important" to select DC or AC ? I didn't understand what does it mean.

Thank you.
Eskim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's been a long time since I've worked in hi-pot testing.

But I believe AC hi-pot testers are to test for insulation breakdown. The applied voltage is typically a few times the operating voltage (I think there are standards as to how much and for how long a time period, based on the type of equipment). The tester is current limited for safer operation. It trips an alarm when the pre-set leakage current is exceeded. For example, a 120VAC motorized power tool may have 600VAC applied for 1 minute and the current trip point set to a couple mA. The nature of the peak sinewave voltage actually 'stresses' the insulation.

DC based testers measure insulation resistance, I think. Never have used one.

Sure that there are many web sites out there that can provide a more thorough and accurate description of these testers.

Wheels within wheels / In a spiral array
A pattern so grand / And complex
Time after time / We lose sight of the way
Our causes can't see / Their effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back