Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AC Power cords in high-end audio equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

drmr

Electrical
Apr 16, 2001
US
I need to do some brain picking, please. I am not an engineer, but an avid experimenter/tweaker of high end audio components.

*It is my understanding that the safety ground should be spaced away from the hot conductor to minimize leakage current from traveling into the stereo component. Your opinions?
* Is the quality of the insulation/dielectric (say PVC vs. Teflon) of any great importance?
* Is is better to use a safety ground comprised of many small individually-insulated (litz) conductors to provide a low impedance path to ground for EMI/RF? (as opposed to using a large ga. single conductor that may have a higher Z at high freq. due to skin effect)
* Is it better to combine a shield AND a safety ground or just a safety ground?
* If it is better to have a shield and a safety ground, is there any way to decouple the shield from the safety ground, yet still have the shield be effective (maybe a capacitor added to a floating shield?)

* My idea is how to best utilize Belden #83802 as a high end audiophile power cord, and I have come up with this so far:

Plan 1:
A) Terminate the shield on the 83802 to the source end only
B) Spiral a single 12 ga. stranded conductor around the outside of the 83802 cable jacket and terminate at both ends.

Plan 2:
A) Use just the twisted pair from the 83802 (remove the braid and foil shield)
B) insert the twisted pair into some flexible heavy wall rubber tubing (like gas line hose)
c) spiral a single 12ga. stranded around the gas line tubing and ground at both ends.

Plan 3?
A) Whatever you guys suggest :)

Lastly, are there ways to use capacitors in lieu of grounding shields in line level interconnects? (I currently just ground at source end).

Thanks so much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm sorry. This is for power cords operating in the U.S. at 60Hz. The cords would be used for AC mains: audio power amplifiers, D/A convertors, preamplifiers, transports, etc....

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back