Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AC to DC conversion for electromagnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beindaz

Nuclear
Jan 30, 2004
US
I am looking to make a home-made crude linear particle accelerator. I have already begun the work of assembling the electromagnets and the vacuum system, but Im finding that a power source is quite difficult to come by. I need to convert normal 120 VAC wall current, into 10,000 VDC to power the electromagnets. I was wondering what would be the cheapest way to accomplish this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How much power are you referring to and for how long? If we are speaking of small amounts for a short pulse, rectify the AC to 12VDC and use the coil off of a automotive spark plug system. I believe the voltage is 30-90kV depending on the contact opening duration, but I don't know the power output capabilities. Search the Automotive Engineering forum of this site for more info, or pose your question there.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Oddly, I was thinking the exact opposite, but not for the electromagnets, but the ionization supply.

I'm only familiar with ion implanters, but, there are some similarities, I think:

> A gas is ionized with a 25kV extraction supply
> The ionized gas is run through a mass spectrometer to extract the desired species
> The electrostatic accelerator (up to 200kV) accelerates the ions into the target.

If 10kV is the highest voltage, it doesn't seem like you have enough kick to get much more than tickling CRT phosphors.

TTFN

Hi Beindaz:

10 KV for electromagnets? Electromagnets usually have low voltage and lots of current. Wire wound around a core to make an electromagnet needs isolation between each winding and connecting a coil with a few ohms of resistance to a 10KV supply would make a good fuse blowing machine.

Anyway, just in case I misunderstand what you're doing:
A Cockcroft-Walton circuit (Check the internet) is a good way to multiply DC voltages. It uses capacitor and diodes and you can keep adding steps to go higher and higher.

I'd be interested to hear more on your project.

Thanks

linacman

Suggestion to the original posting: A heavy preoccupation with a home-made crude linear particle accelerator probably leaves the TV idle. If with CRT, there may be somewhere around 18kV available. An extra fuse is recommended not to harm the TV. If the electromagnets are intended to be superconducting, a good cryogenic system will be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back