Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACAD 2010 Radial and Diametric Dims Messing Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTank

Mechanical
Sep 24, 2007
US
I'm stumped. I am dimensioning relatively simple items in paperspace: shell and tube heat exchanger parts. Several of them have incomplete circular features, arcs that is.

It seems that when I dimension an arc, the radial or diametric dimension will be as it was by default in older versions of ACAD: a single arrow, leader line, landing line, and the dimension text, but the text and landing line segment of the leader will only make an acute angle with the rest of the leader line. They will hold this way accurately for a bit (maybe until the dimensions refresh themselves) if i do not use the grip edits to try to get the landing and text to make an obtuse angle with the leader, as the dimension would normally look. Once I do so, an arc extension line appears, and the dimension changes to something inaccurate but within a few 1/32's of the actual radius or diameter.

If I do not try to change that angle or use the grips for anything and leave the dimension as originally placed, once the dimensions refresh themselves, the extension line magically appears and the dimension text changes in the same manner.

If I select the dimension and try to turn off that extension line, regardless of the dimension type (radial or diametric) an inside dimension line across the entire diameter appears! If I turn this off, all I have left is the text!

I have very little control over how the dimension looks, and it seems to be going inaccurate randomly. Can anyone help?! I'm at my wit's end and I have to get this job out to the floor!

--------------------------------
Fitter, happier, more productive

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although I appreciate the pros and cons of the model vs. paperspace arguement, having worked for an architect in the past as a draftsman, I use model space dimensions for reference only, and paper space dimensioning and text for the final product. I've always thought it leaves less possibility of human error. I really don't think there is a right and wrong to this, just a personal preference or company handbook to follow.

I would prefer not to debate that here.

All that being said, any ideas?

Why do I always seem to have the problems that nobody has input for? :(

I have ACAD 2010 LT, and I don't have this problem. I also have Inventor 2010 which is giving me some annoying extension line issues. In my searches though, I found some other information about ACAD having these issues, I believe you need to install the latest updates to make it work correctly. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back