Academic/textbook sources for toughness 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inund8_ca

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2022
CA
Hey all,
I am looking for a reliable academic source on toughness testing data on cast alloys, to provide to CSA. My certifier there is demanding that we do cold impact tests on our aluminum and bronze enclosures, even though bronze is tougher than aluminum, unless I can provide a reliable source. It hasn't been made clear what a reliable source is, however, I'd like to get it from the same source, so there is no doubt that the same procedure was used.
The alloys I need are A356.2 aluminum and C87800 bronze. Machinery's handbook has the bronze, but not A356.2, only A356 aluminum. Is anyone aware of a source that has both materials?

And since I'm sure some of you will suggest that I get this data from the suppliers, rest assured I am doing my best on that, however, as I mentioned, they are very thorough, and I want to have as much evidence to present. I also worry that they won't accept a mill test certificate even they've been done to the same standard. I don't know this for a fact, but I assume sending samples to a lab to do a simple Charpy test will be just as expensive, and the goal is to save time and money on our quote.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

is this for basic material properties, or as a way to validate the casting process ?

if for basic material properties, then your material is spec'd to some standard which may specify a cold impact test result. in which case, the supplier should be able to provide this data.
if your material spec doesn't, then your drawing/purchase spec can make this a requirement (so the supplier does the testing, at your expense).

if to validate the casting process, is this a requirement of your casting process spec ?
or again, add as an additional requirement on the drawing.

are these castings unusually critical ?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

SWComposites: Thank for pointing me towards ASM handbooks. Can you tell me more about these handbooks? Are they all collections of academic papers? Or is it more cohesive like a meta-analysis or systemic review? I can see there are multiple authors and DOI's, but they all seem to be published on the same day. Also if you know which sets of handbooks are most applicable please let me know, since there are quite a few here. EDIT: also what are the DRM protections on the PDF's? I might just pay for these out of pocket if its not DRM protected.

rb1957: This is for basic material properties. In my last meeting I asked if we could waive the test on the tougher material, but neglected to ask what proof would be required. Meetings are spread out quite a bit, so I like to be prepared.
As far as testing of the materials go, I don't think they would accept tests done by the supplier, it would need to be done by CSA/UL/ASTM or an approved laboratory; however, my understanding is that CSA can make exceptions based on precedent, so if you know of a precedent which would allow that please let me know.
The castings are not unusually critical. They are NEMA rated electrical enclosures used in heavy industry, so there is already a ton of testing required. Failure from an impact is a very obvious failure and therefore not a high risk failure mode.

Most of your suppliers should have quality system approvals that well beyond simple ISO stuff.
They may even have lab accreditation.
If not simply ask them to send the test samples to an A2LA (or similarly accredited) lab.
The real question is how many tests from how many different samples would they require to accept the values as 'typical'.

The AMS Handbooks are editorially reviewed compilations. Sometimes there is a lot of supporting information and sources referenced, other times it is just a number. All of the non-ferrous alloys and pure metals are in one volume (it used to be #2) so you could get buy just buying the single Vol.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back