Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acceleration load input in SAP2000 v16

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOCH

Structural
Aug 28, 2013
LB
Hello guys,
Does anyone know what is the best way to input an acceleration load into SAP2000?
My case is as below:
I am checking the displacement of a structure if i applied an acceleration of (a = 4.25 m/s2) (knowing that an acceleration is equivalent to a horizontal force if multiplied by a mass) but i am not sure how to input this acceleration force? I have defined a sinusoidale function (unit function) and then defined a time history case reading from this function with a scale factor of 4.25, i am not very sure about this.
Can anyone advise please ?
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why are you applying a cyclic function and what are you trying to analyze? Can you confirm whether you defined an acceleration time history or a "load" time history? You can apply a static acceleration of 4.25 m/s2 by specifying your units as KN,m or another unit which includes meter, define a static load case using "Accel" instead of Load, choose the acceleration direction(s) and type 4.5 in the Scale factor field, which is tied to current units. You scale accelerations to G based on current units, whether it's static acceleration load, response spectrum or time history acceleration.

Also, by default, SAP uses selfweight of elements modeled + any user assigned mass as the mass source. If you want to include assigned loads in the mass source (for example, if you modeled heavy equipment as a load), use Define> Mass source and use the 2nd option "from load patterns" and add loads into the list that you want to include in the mass model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back