Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accelerometer response

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikina33

Mechanical
Nov 24, 2008
US
In what form is the accelerometer responds during random vibration? Or in other words, how does the response plot looks like? Is it in g vs Hz or g^2/Hz vs Hz or g vs time? A known PSD profile is input and the area under the plot is G rms.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whatever are you talking about?

An accelerometer measures acceleration, hence, its output is acceleration, usually in mV/g.

PSDs are processed from the raw data.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Thanks a bunch. I know that accelerometer gives data in volts/g. But I would like to know how the PSD is derived from the raw data. Do I have to know the resonant frequency of the system? And do I have to know the transmissibility? Please explain.

No. I am trying to understand the process because I have never done a vibration test analysis before. Please help.

You are supposedly an engineer, so you should have some inkling of how a time series with time in the horizontal axis gets transformed into something with a horizontal axis in frequency.

This is not the place to get tutorials. You need to do some reading, like here:
TTFN

FAQ731-376

The response plot will look like whatever you inputed, so if you used g^2/Hz, then that's what you will get out. If you happen to have a resonance at 1000Hz, then there will be a spike at that frequency in g^2/Hz.

To be a bit more specific than IRstuff, you need to review Fourier transforms, and then discrete Fourier transforms. These transform time-based data functions (or series of discrete time-based data points) into frequency space.

If he couldn't figure out "time" "transformed" "frequency" he needs more help than is possible here.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

A PSD producing program takes in acceleration (vs. time) in g's and produces a plot with units of g^2/hz on the vertical axis and frequency on the horizontal axis. That plot tells you where the energy of the signal is. If there is a peak near 10 hertz then you might have a resonance near that frequency (or just a lot of activity near 10 hertz for a reason other than resonance). The sharpness of the peak gives an indication of the damping at that frequency.

I don't disagree, IR - but somebody else may stumble on these posts and wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back