Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Acceptable Compression Load on SSD and FPGA from TIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRogers1987

Aerospace
Feb 20, 2014
US
I have been looking at a high-performance thermal pad to use on the heatsinks for several high power dissipation components. The thermal pad is relatively stiff and requires a certain level of compression in order to achieve good levels of thermal conductivity though. I'm concerned that the pressure exerted on the SSD in particular from this compression could be problematic. We're talking in the 10-20 psi range at least, according to the manufacturer (Laird Tflex SF10 Datasheet).

I can't find any specific guidance on this or reference from other thermal pad options to compare, but my gut feel is this is way too high. A quick hand calc shows deflections so high that the pad wouldn't even be compressed anymore (which is now problematic from a thermal perspective too!). But perhaps I am being overconservative in how this pressure from compression is actually applied to the board components. When I think of a thermal pad for an SSD it is typically so compliant that even when clamping down the heatsink there is minimal force exerted on the SSD though.

Anyone have some experience or actual quantifiable spec on what is an appropriate or 'typical' amount of pressure/load for board components like RAM, FPGA, or SSD? Or suggestions on how to account for this compression on the components for more detailed analysis?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back