Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acceptable Leakage Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirpumpsalot

Mechanical
May 25, 2004
US
I have a single, John Crane 8B1H seal running carbon vs. TC in a Sihi CEHY pump and the pump is moving 125 refrigerant. Is anyone running a single seal in a flashing service such as this and are you able to get leakage rates of less than 1000ppm?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thats a tough service. Not only is the process fluid awfuly light, but the elastomer compatibility is tough too.

The seal you have is a step in the right direction, the problem is that the fluid is also a terrible lubricator. There are some new materials available that might work well; a graphite loaded carbon or silicon carbide.

Most of the SIHI pumps that I've run into don't have much room behind the pump, but if there is some space consider a Flush Plan 21 (from discharge- to a heat exchanger- to the seal chamber) to cool and pressurize the seal chamber. Consider insluting the body of the pump too, that service is always worse during the hot summer months.

If emissions are your goal, a tandem or double seal might be worth considering too. Though the only buffer fluid I'm aware of that is compatible is very expensive.

I'd show your sales person a failed seal and run these ideas by him/her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back