Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acceptable Office Temperature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

henerythe8th

Structural
Dec 27, 2002
US
Can someone point me in the correct direction of a national or state (I'm in Washington) reference of one sort or another that would answer the question, "What is the acceptable temperature range in an office building?"?
ASHRAE, OSHA, WISHA, etc. are ok

Trying to settle a dispute and would like published data...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In order to understand what determines the design temeperature, for any space, that is acceptable to human occupants I would recommend you to read ASHRAE Standard 55 (latest edition)"Thermal Enviromental Conditions for Human Occupancy". Or some of the books writen by Fanger.Good luck.

In the ASHRAE book of Fundamentals (1997), on page 9.14 it discusses the thermal environment and what is considered to be "comfortable" for the typical person. In the second column, first paragraph, it mentions "For a resting person wearing trousers and a long-sleeved shirt, thermal comfort is experienced in a still air environment at 75ºF. A zone of comfort extends about 3ºF above and below this optimum level." It even has a chart showing human reactions to differing environmental conditions. You can probably find this info in the 2001 volume as well, under the main title "Indoor Environmental Health."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back