Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acceptable Vibration Criteria for Structural Integrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bootlegend

Structural
Mar 1, 2005
US
I'm looking for any references or guidelines on acceptable vibrations for industrial structures. I see plenty of charts and resources for the machinery but most of those are aimed at limiting bearing and shaft failures. Using criteria for an occupied office building seems to conservative as well. Anyone know of any sort of reference?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know, the only formal limit for structural damage for steel would be the stress range threshold in the AISC Specification Appendix 3. If you can estimate the vibration displacement amplitude then you can probably estimate the stress range. Compare that to the threshold.

I think most (all?) vibration that can be tolerated by workers on the structure will be minor enough to not cause damage to the structure. The office building vibration limit is about 0.5 percent of gravity. In an industrial setting, people would probably put up with about 10 times that, or 5% of gravity. That would cause a small stress range. There are probably exceptions to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back