Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Acceptance criteria of Hardness and charpy test

Status
Not open for further replies.

duongwe

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2011
VN
Dear all,i qualify the WPS for SA312 TP310S with ASME IX, B31.3 code, there are hardness and charpy test in mechanical testing but i don't know where is acceptance criteria for hardness and charpy testing. please take me correct response. Tks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please review ASME B31.3, Sections 323.2.2 to 323.3.5. The acceptance criteria are listed in Table 323.3.5.

TP310S stainless steel is not hardenable, it is considered an austenitic stainless. I know of no hardness requirement for this material.

Charpy testing would be required for service temperatures at or below -150 deg F (see 323.2.2 (f)). There is no required minimum energy value for materials grouped as P-No 6, 7 and 8. The minimum requirement is measurement of lateral expansion of the Chapry specimens (3 total).

thanks you, but i try hardness testing with HV10 method, but i don't know where value to compare. please take me to wherever to see hardness value of SA312 TP310S material.

if your client ask for this, then you have the right to ask them on the acceptance criteria (or any document reference they are using), because there is no hardness requirement in ASME IIA (as advised by metengr).

Please mention me where in ASME IIA (ASME II Part A Ferrous Material Specifications) is no hardness requirement. Tks so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back