Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

accepted offer, and potential interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgowans

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2004
US
After a long job search, I've received and accepted an offer. I just heard that I am a candidate for another position which, I believe, is a fabulous opportunity. Of course I'm wondering how to proceed. I realize how I'll look to the people whose offer I accepted if I back out, but I do believe that the second position would be a much better career move (assuming it comes to fruition).

What I'm wondering is what your experiences are with this kind of situation? I realizing I may be concerning myself with something that ultimately is of no consequence, but what are your opinions of how to approach the second position?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've hired someone and they have worked for 3 days then quit because of another offer. There's not a whole lot of training that can be completed and retained in 3 days, so it was no great loss to me or the company. We hired our 2nd choice, and that person has worked out great. Had that person worked for 3 months or longer, it might have been a different story.

I would carry-on with the 1st offer, burn a PTO day for the 2nd interview. If things work out for you, quite #1 and start at #2. If things don't work out, you lost a PTO day and not a job.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Provide your current employer with the full value of their investment in you while you're in their employ. If you decide to leave, do it gracefully and professionally.

Recognize, however, that your employer will eliminate your position at any time that they deem it in the company's best interest. More than once have I seen people caught up in layoffs who are only weeks or months into their new jobs.

Likewise, you should pursue the best opportunity available to you. You do, of course, run the risk of appearing to be a job-hopper.

--------------------
How much do YOU owe?
--------------------

Beggar (Mechanical) 25 Mar 06 13:47:
"...I seen people caught up in layoffs who are only weeks or months into their new jobs."

I've got you beat, I once layed off an employee during his first day! The owner of the company walked in and closed the store I was managing, with no advanced notice.

dgowans, do what Mango and Beggar say, take what you can while you can, move on as frequently as it takes to get all you can. Don't do anything to jeopardize the offer you have. It's only business, not personal.

Remember, amateurs built the ark...professionals built the Titanic. -Steve

Most employers of course won't like it, but they should understand.

I have also been in the situation MadMango and Beggar described (not so much laid off, but salary roll back).

Try to determine whether you will take the second job. As soon as you do, talk to the first employer to give them as much time as possible to find someone else. That is only professional.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Isn't this part of the labour force flexibility that employer-groups and politicians keep banging on about?

It's just that in this case the employer is inconvenienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back