Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Access to drawing custom properties via table

Status
Not open for further replies.

moon161

Mechanical
Dec 15, 2007
US
I can edit part custom properties via an assembly BOM. Is there a way to do this to drawing custom properties?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

moon161,

Assembly BOM?

You can edit custom properties, including BOM entries, from the Properties menu under Files, using the equation editor, and using design tables. This means that your SolidWorks model will control your BOM.

Are you trying to manage your model custom properties from an external BOM? This sounds like a bad idea.

--
JHG

The best way to create/edit custom properties for ALL objects: parts, assemblies and drawings is thru Property tab.

The preparation work is required: You have to create Property tabs using Property Tab Builder utility. Check help/tutorials available to you.

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

Yes, I understand it's usually done at the part level. Sometimes I use an assembly bom off the sheet to view or edit properties of the components cause they're all right there in a table. It so happens I put the checker and checked date properties on the drawing instead of the part is all.

Create a dwg custom property file. Have each dwg template link to it.
Trying to do it via a BOM or table is more complicated.
Capture_be0nn9.jpg

ctopher, CSWP
SolidWorks '17
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

moon161 said:
Yes, I understand it's usually done at the part level. Sometimes I use an assembly bom off the sheet to view or edit properties of the components cause they're all right there in a table. It so happens I put the checker and checked date properties on the drawing instead of the part is all.

I would regard the checker and checked dates as part of the drawing, and I would regard the drawing as the proper place to edit these.

If you are editing part model metadata from some external resource like a fabrication drawing, assembly model, assembly drawing, or an external BOM, what happens when your model is read[‑]only? My experience is that SolidWorks will do the edit in RAM, but the file on your drive will not be updated.

I think SolidWorks will let you edit fields in the BOM such that they become different from the model's metadata. These edits will not survive somebody deleting the BOM and re-inserting it. Re-insertion is a quick and dirty way to solve BOM problems, and I normally do not hesitate. Editing BOM fields is very, very bad practise.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back