Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing the mdb without GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jope

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2007
SE
How do I access the mdb object with only the python prompt (without launching the GUI)

I have tried importing in the abaqus module in the python interpreter, and the following happens:

$ abaqus python
Python 2.0 (#0, Sep 24 2005, 01:06:13)
[GCC Intel(R) C++ gcc 3.0 mode] on linux2
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>
>>> from abaqus import *
Traceback (innermost last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "Python/abaqus.py", line 12, in ?
ImportError: ababltin failed to import
>>>

Someone had a similar problem in the thread thread799-152996 but I'm not helped by it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use the command:

abaqus cae noGUI=my_cae_script.py

from ABAQUS documentation:

"This option specifies the name of a file containing Python scripts to be run without the graphical user interface (GUI). This option is useful for automating pre- or post-analysis processing tasks without the added expense of running a display. Since no interface is provided, the scripts cannot include any user interaction. ABAQUS/CAE runs the commands in the file and exits upon their completion. If no file extension is given, the default extension is .py.

Arguments can be passed into the file by entering -- on the command line, followed by the arguments separated by one or more spaces. These arguments will be ignored by the ABAQUS/CAE execution procedure, but they will be accessible within the Python script."

See, for details:

ABAQUS Analysis User's Manual (v.6.6) -> 3.2.3 Execution procedure for ABAQUS/CAE

abaqus cae noGUI=my_cae_script.py

only executes a python script file and exits, as far as I know.

I want to access an mdb by giving python commands one by one from the keyboard in same was as accessing an odb by

$abaqus python
>>>import odbAccess
>>>odb=odbAccsess.openOdb('..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back