Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing V5 Files Over a Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLeach

Aerospace
Mar 31, 2003
US
All,

I have stored my V5 Assemblies and Parts on my computers hard drive and gave full permissions to the directories to another person. This person then brings up V5 on his own computer and opens the files (read only) from my computer.

Parts open fine, but assemblies (CATProducts) don't. The error message is that V5 cannot find some of the associated part files and they need to be reconnected (all part and assembly files reside in the same directory). When I use 'desk' to reconnect, I can select the file, but V5 doesn't reconnect it.

What's really interesting is that I tried to open the assembly from a third computer and V5 finds some of the parts that the second computer couldn't find and cannot find some of the parts that the second computer found. Also, if I toggle the preview button on when I am opening the whole assembly is previewed (no missing parts).

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Roger

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

To start from the bottom, yes you can see the correct assembly in preview because that information is stored within the assembly file.
The other two questions is actually the same problem. In tools-option-general-document, you can tell Catia where to look for files. In an assembly, the path to the memebers is stored and that's where Catia will start looking. If you select the Other Folders line in ...document and click on Configure, you can tell Catia specific directories where to look for parts and assemblies it can't find. Don't add to many paths to Other Flders since that will increase the load time.

Good luck
Ola

Hi Roger!

FYI, The "Other folder" thing is the solution.

But, I had different problem saving huge assy over the network... sometimes while re-opening the Product (pumping it from the network). It seems that if it's taking to much time, catia won't even open the product.

Copying the files (CATProduct + CATPart) localy was my solution.

Kev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back