Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accu-Tabs for Water Treatment? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJBess

Civil/Environmental
Oct 12, 2004
US
For my .135 MGD water treatment plant, they are currently using Cl gas for disinfection. They would like to go to Hypochlorite. I am wondering if the calcium hypo Accu-Tabs would be a good fit for this small application? Has anyone used the tablets in this size application? How do they compare to bleach solutions as far as effectiveness, maintenance, cost, etc? My experience is with waste treatment, so, in some ways, this is a very different application for me. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DJBess:

Calciium hypochlorite in tablet form is rather expensive, but it may be well suited for your application considering it size when you take into account operating costs compared to sodium hypochlorite systems. I would have your engineer do a side by side cost comparison, then you will understand what option is cheaper. Then take a look at who will be maintaining it, and ask the question if they can adequately maintain appurtenances associated with a sodium hypo system, like chem feed pumps etc...

Another way to feed calcium hypo is in dry granuylar form, then mix it in a day tank, this is a cheaper form than Accu Tabs, but you will still need chem feed pumps....

Let us know how you make out...

BobPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back