Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACFD Fire Truck Access 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

FixedEarth

Geotechnical
Feb 4, 2010
US
Anyone have access to to ACFD SRA/Rural Fire Access Manual? I have a project with a 65k fire truck on stiff Clay. I can do the pavement thickness design but am stuck at the ACFD manual requirements.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you please provide information on what your acronyms mean? ACFD doesn't mean anything to most of us...what is is it? Alameda County Fire Department?

Fire access is usually a local issue, so please be a bit more specific in your question.

For fire equipment access, the usual requirements are wheel loads and turning radius. Wheel loads are essentially a minor requirement because of the frequency of loading. Turning radius is a big deal because of the physical access of the equipment.

Ron;

Not sure of the Acronyms myself-but you maybe right-this job is in Alameda County, CA. In general though, is there any manual about design of fire truck access roads? Maybe even details like turning radius and pavement specs will help. I know that they want a minimum of 20 ft pavement width. Thanks.

Typical minimum turning radius is 60 feet for fire access. As for pavement loads, typical 18 kip axle loads will suffice.

The International Fire Code provides requirements for fire apparatus access roads. Your local AHJ may have amended the values in the IFC (if it has been adopted). If no IFC, then the local development regulations should include their requirements. Failing those items, time to visit with your local fire chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back