Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACI 318-02 App. D + Special Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

egoodwin

Structural
Jan 7, 2005
Anchorages to concrete

Using allowable design/Table 1912.2 in the 2003 IBC, if I require special inspection, I can take a 100% increase in the loads given in Table 1912.2 (1912.5). If I do not want special inspection, then I can not increase the values.

When I jump to the strength design, I must go to Appendix D. I can not find any provision similar to the allowable section where I can decide whether or not to require special inspection.

Is there a provision in the 2003 IBC or ACI 318 that allows me to choose whether or not to use special inspection when using strength design?

Other information:

In the 1997 UBC, section 1923.2 allowed a designer to multiply the load factors by 2 if no special inspection is provided and 1.3 multiplier if special inspection is provided. If they allowed it in the 97 UBC, where did it go in the 2003 IBC? I was hoping it would be addressed in the IBC commentary, but no luck.

This is a very small job and I would prefer not to require special inspection on the anchor bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back