Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACI 318-08 Appendix D-Shear Breakout

Status
Not open for further replies.

palves

Structural
Jun 6, 2008
US
I have a question regarding Section D6.2.4 of Appendix D. This provision tells what to do when anchors are influenced by 3 or more edges, but says nothing about when they are influenced by less than 3 edges. Im working with a program called DSAnchor, and have detailed a bolt arrangement that is in the middle of a wall. Ive made the edge distances (Ca1 and Ca2) large enough (~100") so that no edges should be affected, yet the program seems to still be calculating Ca1 based on provision D6.2.4. In order to make sure that the program is running correctly I want to make sure I understand how Ca1 is calculated, but cant find it in the code. Does anybody know how Provision D6.2.4 should read if the anchors are affected by less than 3 edges? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Calculating by hand, a pyramid or right angle cone with 35 degree slope will intersect the side wall and the surface. The area of this cone will give the breakout strength of the anchor.

This is a miserably written section. Ca1 is defined in section 2.1-Notation and Definitions. I don't blame the program for calculating the capacity for large edge distances, but they shouldn't control. If you look at the commentary, Section RD6.2.1, this is stated.

I dont have it right here, but did you search in the PCA Notes of ACI318-05, maybe in that section they have explames of how to calculate it.

Diquan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back