Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ACI 318-19 - 25.4.3 "Development of standard hooks in tension" - Defintions of Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illbay

Structural
May 22, 2001
US
The definitions of some terms in this section, provisions for "Development of standard hooks in tension," seem unusually complicated. Usually, ACI does a fair job of including accompanying illustrations or diagrams to help understand how physical parameters are defined, but in this case it seems to me a word-salad.

You have for example, the parameters A[sub]sh[/sub], A[sub]hs[/sub], A[sub]th[/sub], and b[sub]c[/sub], all of which contribute in various ways to determine the factor Ψ[sub]r[/sub], which accounts for "confining reinforcement."

I realize that one could simply use the conservative value of 1.6 for Ψ[sub]r[/sub], and let the rest go, but I'm trying to create a general design aid and it would be convenient to be able to accurately account for special circumstances for which Ψ[sub]r[/sub] may be set equal to 1.0. I'd like to understand how to interpret these.

Could anyone point me to a paper, treatise, or other resource that explains the definitions for these parameters more clearly than ACI 318-19 does?

"No one is completely useless. He can always serve as a bad example." --My Dad ca. 1975

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chapter 2 of ACI 318 provides definitions for all (most) of the notations used.

A[sub]th[/sub] = total cross-sectional area of ties or stirrups confining hooked bars, in[sup]2[/sup]

A[sub]sh[/sub] = total cross-sectional area of transverse reinforcement, including crossties, within spacing s and perpendicular to dimension b[sub]c[/sub], in[sup]2[/sup]

A[sub]hs[/sub] = total cross-sectional area of hooked or headed bars being developed at a critical section, in[sup]2[/sup]

b[sub]c[/sub] = cross-sectional dimension of member core measured to the outside edges of the transverse reinforcement composing area A[sub]sh[/sub], in

dauwerda, that was not my question. I am fully aware of the written definitions you have copied here - and if you noticed, I described them as "word salad."

Let me try again, perhaps I'll be more clear this time. I would like to see diagrammatic examples of these definitions, to help illustrate their meaning.

For example, b[sub]c[/sub] is stated to be "meassured to the outside edges of the tranverse reinforcement componsing are A[sub]sh[/sub]". What does that mean exactly? And what if you don't have crossties? What if you are looking at a floor slab, for example? How does this definition apply?

"No one is completely useless. He can always serve as a bad example." --My Dad ca. 1975

Maybe Figure R18.7.5.2 will help?:
Fig_R18.7.5.2_anuvgb.png

Copy and paste of definition of bc ( ACI 318-14)

bc =cross-sectional dimension of member core measured to the outside edges of the transverse reinforcement composing area Ash, in.

Acc. to Figure R18.7.5.2 ( Mr dauwerda posted )

- Transverse reinforcement formula is Ash/sbc

- For Transverse reinforcement parallel to long side (Ash2) use bc2 at expression Ash/sbc ( and there are 3 legs )

- For Transverse reinforcement parallel to short side (Ash1) use bc1 at expression Ash/sbc ( and there are 4 legs )

If you put garbage in a computer nothing comes out but garbage. But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine, is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it. ( ANONYMOUS )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back