ACI 350-06 Chemical Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guastavino

Structural
Jan 29, 2014
US
Hi All,

So in section 4.5 it lists the groups of chemicals considered harmful to concrete. There is a note for group 3 that "the concentrations shown are weight percent, and are the typical maximum concentration of the chemical delivered and used at the facility."

So, I'm doing a clarifier that has some pretty bad chemicals in it (not your typical wastewaster). They are adding some ferrous chloride at 45% concentrations to help treat this stuff. However, they aren't storing that in the tank, they're just adding it to it. So the question is, is the intent of the statement the applied concentration, or the resultant concentration? IE, if I take 45% concentration and add it to a clarifier tank, it's a small, small percentage at that point. But, if it's the application that it's referring to, it seems like I need a protective lining.

I won't spoil your answers with my interpretation quite yet.

If I need a protective lining, any proprietary recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ferric will damage concrete. At low concentrations it will continually etch the concrete. At higher concentrations, it will eat it like a monkey eats a banana.
Call a protective coating manufacturer. Dudick is good and familiar with water and wastewater treatment. Close to where they're injecting it, use what ever super duper fiber reinforced vinyl ester 80 mil coating they recommend. Recognize that dissipation might not be perfect and plumes might affect the concentration far away from the injection point.
In the clarifier, where the concentrations are much less, you might be able to get away with an epoxy coating. Or you could coat it with the 80 mil hard to apply and expensive coating. That's your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back