Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACI 350 applicable ? Coating or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bender36

Structural
Mar 5, 2007
DE
Hi,

I have to design a concrete slab within a chemical plant. The slab is supporting vessels. In case of a leakage or disaster the liquid flows via slope to a short channel and then into a collecting pit.

The liquid in the vessels is a solvent not attacking the concrete but that should not leak into the environment (soil/water), e.g. Methanol.

My protection philosophy is the following:

As the liquid will be in contact with the slab and the channel just for a short time, no surface protection system is required but a proper concrete composition and construction as per ACI 350. For the collecting pit I would provide a proper coating, as we have here a "long term" contact.

It is clear that for media attacking the concrete I have to provide a protection system. But what about media, that don't attack the concrete but are not allowed to leak into the environment? Is then a proper concrete composition and design acc. ACI 350 sufficient ?Where is this regulated?

Thank you !

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back