Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ACI Beam vs Column Definition 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zrck99

Structural
Dec 19, 2014
US
I am designing a pedestal over a spread footing to support a cantilevered hss column. The column has fairly large moments and very light axial loads. I believe the pedestal falls into the ACI 318-19; 2.3 definition of a beam, "Member subjected primarily to flexure and shear, with or without axial force or torsion...". Based on this, I plan to use the less stringent beam reinforcement requirements rather than the column requirements.

Does anyone know of a part of the code that actual defines a ratio of axial force to moment that allows you to design the member as a beam? I've looked through older posts on here but not had luck tracking down a definition like this.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although the pedestal is defined as short column, the reinforcement requirements expressly stated in the code..

16.3.4.1 For connections between a cast-in-place column or pedestal and foundation, As crossing the interface shall be
at least 0.005Ag, where Ag is the gross area of the supported member.

So, i will suggest you to provide reinf. at least 0.005Ag or total area of anchor rods which ever is stringent and distribute the rebars evenly ( at least one for each corner )..

Hturkak is right. I used to do pedestals for industrial equipment all the time. And, the 0.5%Ag was usually what controlled reinforcement.

FWIW, we still analyzed the pedestal as a singly reinforced concrete beam. Meaning that we ignored any axial compression and only considered the bars on the tension face. The thinking being that when you look at the P-M interaction diagram, we were in the portion of the curve where axial force INCREASES flexural capacity.

Concrete_Interaction_Diagram_zlhwou.png

Not sure if ACI318 covers it.

Australian Code AS3600 has

10.3.2 Short column with small compressive axial force
Where the design compressive axial force (N*) in a short column is less than 0.1 f'c Ag , the
cross-section may be designed for bending only.

The ACI code used to have almost the same provision that Rapt mentioned. That was specifically related to setting the strength reduction factor Phi (if I remember correctly).

Now, that reduction factor is based on the strain in the bars at failure. When you have a "tension controlled" failure the phi factor is 0.9, when it's "compression controlled" then the phi factor is 0.75. Anything in between is in a "transition region" where the phi linearly interpolates between 0.9 and 0.75 based on strain.

I believe my figure above was lifted from an older code where you see a kink a little bit above the yellow line where the phi changed between the column (compression controlled) and beam (tension controlled) phi factors. In today's ACI code there wouldn't be a sudden kink like that, but more of a gradual transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back