Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ACI minimum depth requirement for foundations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTS419

Structural
Jun 21, 2006
US
ACI 318-19 13.3.1.2 says that minimum depth of bottom reinforcement for foundations is 6" (not inclusive of cover). Does anyone have any insight on what is driving this?
Could it be justified that a precast spread footing is exempt from this requirement if it can be shown by analysis that the footing is adequate for the design load?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO , 6" is the minimum depth in order to provide a certain rigidty and even soil stress distribution. In case of PC footing , you may reduce the clear cover ( if blinding layer, water proofing membrane is used ).

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

13.3.1.2 Overall depth of foundation shall be selected such that the effective depth of bottom reinforcement is at least 6 in.

Assuming you use a minimum cover of 3" [cast against earth], 3"+6"=9" you are approaching a minimum of 10". As HTURKAK mentioned, I believe is this for shear and flexural rigidity. The footing shouldn't be too "thin" for it to bend excessively due to soil stresses and not too "thin" for shear (one-way and two-way)

It’s been my impression that the 6” min to bottom of reinforcement was there to be able to accommodate the 6” minimum standard hook embedment.

You're right, Celt83. I remember reading something similar from CRSI publication where they emphasis on the selection of a minimum thickness based on development of dowel bars from the footing. It all makes sense now.

One thing I still have a hard time figuring out why is the development of compression for foundations.

Why would the bent bars need to be vertical? You could make a thinner footing with bent bars placed so that the hook was horizontal and not eating up thickness.

Celt83 is talking about vertical bars used to tie the footing to the concrete wall, stem-wall, or slab above.
The bars are typically "L" shaped bars with a standard 90 degree hook embedded into the footing.
The standard, minimum, hook embedment is 6" for smaller bars - the distance from the top of footing to the bottom of the "L" hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back