Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACIS modeler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ACIS is the modelling engine (kernel) on which some programs are based. It is not a 3D program in itself ... as far as I know.

SoidWorks uses the PARASOLID kernel.

[cheers]

>ACIS kernel programs include the AutoDesk products.

Autodesk products no longer use the ACIS kernel. They dropped ACIS back at v7. I think ACIS is now up to v14.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Autodesk didn't drop ACIS.

We are not abandoning ACIS, but expanding its capabilities.

When Autodesk first signed a deal with Spatial, it included a clause that would allow Autodesk, for a price, to walk away with the current version of the ACIS kernel as a perpetual license to do what it wanted. Obviously, Autodesk decided to execute that clause and has spent considerable sums to buy the license and recruit some of the top developers in the field
The first task for the team will be to get better performance from ACIS, together with the ability to handle more complex parts, with more shape descriptions.

[cheers]

While I agree that the articles are relatively old (2001 to 2003) apparently the information still holds true.

Sheridan College 2007 said:
CADD79023
3-D Modelling and Design for Architects and Designers

The potentials of using 3-D features of AutoCAD 2007 to explore and test architectural designs are examined. Particular emphasis is placed on using ACIS solid modelling effectively and productively. You are expected to have a thorough understanding of the 2-D features of AutoCAD.

Cadalyst 2007 said:
A major push this development cycle is data sharing among the various Autodesk products. This task is made easier by the fact that the products now share the Autodesk Shape Manager modeling kernel (an Autodesk-developed version of the ACIS modeler)

If you know of more recent articles to the contrary, please post.

[cheers]

Let's not get into a stupid argument. Based on the linked articles, it appears that this is a matter of semantics. Unless someone has some more "updated" information, it appears that AutoDesk didn't "drop" ACIS, but they're not currently an ACIS modeler either. As to how much of the ACIS V7 core remains in ShapeManager I doubt anyone outside AutoDesk could say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back