Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acorn stair lift remote problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

OperaHouse

Electrical
Jun 15, 2003
US
I'm taking a wild shot here. Just installed an Acorn 120 stair lift at my parents home. The problem is there is another Acorn stair lift nearby. Both lift remotes have the same code and both operate at the same time. Opened the remote battery cover and there is a dip switch, 1 is up and 2 is down. Simple enough, I make them both up and neither stair lift responds. This should be simple, just remove the cover on the lift and change the code on the control board.

PROBLEM: There are no dip switches, jumpers or anything on the control board. Just header pins to program the micros. There are two jumper wire loops that could be cut on one of the connectors. It has to be something simple. Don't think they want installers going in and changing code. I hesitate to just cut the wires and experiment. I'm here with nothing and don't have anything to solder the wires back together. Two lifts in the same house is fairly common. Thought there ought to be a video and checked youtube, but nothing. Anyone address this problem before? This renders the second lift useless until I can wire in an aftermarket remote.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some devices will have a button or jumper that triggers it to learn the code of the remote control that you'd like to pair. Trigger it, an LED may blink, press the RC, it accepts that code.

Sometimes the RCs come pre-programmed with unique codes, but you describe a different situation.

I know nothing about stair lifts. This is just general advice in case it helps.

You might have to call their tech support folks.

I have wathed TV series where the hero has to decide if he shall cut the red or the green wire. He reasons like this; red is warning - don't cut. Green is good - don't cut. He then Cuts the blue wire and Everything is OK. Does that mean that:
A. Always cut the blue wire?
B. It really doesn't matter?
C. The camera didn't survive when he cut green or red wire - so there are no films to Watch?

I know that it has nothing to do with those lifts. Hopefully. But it is an interesting question.What does the manufacturer say?

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

A RLC Ammunition Technical Officer (bomb doctor, to the rest of us) I used to work with was keen to point out that if it ever came to a question of whether to cut the red wire or the blue, something had already gone horribly wrong: By the time you're close enough to see the colour of the wires, the components of the (former) device should be randomly distributed in soggy heaps around the edges of the room.

Seriously though, try this:

Having pushed the #2 DIP switch up and reassembled the remote,
[ol 1]
[li]Use the paddle control in the armrest to motor the lift onto the stops at the bottom.[/li]
[li]Swivel the seat a bit to obtain an E5 Error code[/li]
[li]Now simultaneously press both the paddle control in the down direction, and the green button on the remote; hold both switches for at least ten seconds.[/li]
[li]Swing the seat back into the riding position before testing whether the remote now works.[/li]
[/ol]

Technique stolen from a different product - but I wouldn't be surprised to find the designs had more in common than anybody is prepared to own up to.

A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back