Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Acoustic discontinuous event recording using microphone and ?? software

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavbilly

Chemical
May 17, 2016
US
I am interested in recording sounds from an electrolysis reactor over the course of about a week, but I don't want all the data that entails.
I was thinking about trying to use a VOX recorder, but I would lose the leading edge of the sound that might be like a pop or thump. Total sound duration of about 0.5 seconds is what I am guessing.

I am considering a software that continuously records (to a loop), and when any "event" in the time window meets threshold level, it saves this to a file.
Is this standard practice? Is there a better way? Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I will consider setting up a suitable security camera with this feature, but it might cost more than the previously mentioned software, except the "pro" version is well over $100.

Thanks. I already have link to one free software that is supposed to record continuously over a memory allocation, then save that block as a file when any
trigger level event is detected in the block. That one should catch sharp leading edges to pop or ping events.
Thank for the link to snooper. I will probably go ahead with it, and I also will copy the link to the free one.

Sounds like you have already found software to do the job..

If it doesn't pan out, Goldwave Inc makes a pretty sophisticated recording package with VOX pre-buffering to capture events prior to VOX trigger and is reasonably priced.

It has numerous features, too many to mention, e.g. time stamping, post editing, pitch shifting, variable playback rate to stretch events out in time, for analysis of the captured data.

I've used it for years to record transmitted signals from radio repeater systems I've built for problem determination purposes.

Wow, it has a very powerful platform for this work, for a lifetime license, is a steal! Thanks for sharing that incredible software!

Thanks, Even though I've used the software for a long time, I have not been back to their web site..

From this page looks like it has developed an impressive following.

Per a Google Scholar search, it has become a widely used research tool in many different fields.
Another program that might be useful, particularly if you need further spectroscopic analysis of your recorded audio, is Spectrogram 16 which is still available here. One feature in this software not commonly found was the ability to frequency shift ultrasonic frequencies down into the human audible range..

Spectrogram was developed by R.S. Horne who had a prestigious career in the field. Spectrogram was originally a for purchase program, but in later years he donated it into the public domain.. Don't know if he is still alive or what, most of his original websites for the software have been taken down, but the last free version can still be found on the above link and other secondary sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back