Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acoustic Insualtion superior material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Materials
Dec 5, 2010
NL

Hi All,

can anyone help me for selecting superior acoustic insulation material?
mineral wool or calcium silicate
give basis for same.

thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the nature of the noise needs to be well understood before selecting a product or method. I don't think either of those products by themselves are likely to solve many noisy pipe problems.

"noisy pipes" sometimes are airborne noise radiating from the pipe full of noisily flowing liquid. That can be >>contained<< by lagging which is effectively an enclosure compliantly mounted (over mineral wool?) to the pipe.

Sometimes the complaints stem from "structure borne noise" getting into the building, etc via the pipe mounts or even points where the vibrating (from noisy flow, or the pump vibration, etc) piping simply touches drywall or anything else. Then the path must be broken or made very soft/compliant. Pipe coverings have no effect structure borne noise.

Some good descriptions of noise control here, looking a lot like the out-of-print info from B&K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back