Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acoustic Power Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superfry

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2004
US
This is probably an easy question for anyone who deals with acoustics regularly..
I'm trying to estimate the amount of power required to drive a speaker(s) which will produce 80dBA at 7 meters - radiating in every direction.
Seems easy enough to calculate the acoustic power from a point source using the inverse square law - comes out to 0.062W for 80dB @ 7 meters.
Even with a really low efficiency speaker (say 5-10%), I know it is going to take much more power to reproduce that amount of sound from an amp/speaker.
What am I missing here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nothing really. "Typical" speakers have efficiency ratings in the 88 - 100 dB/1 watt/1 meter, so your spec does not seem hard to achieve.

BK

1/16 of a watt?
Yep, that's what my calculations show: speakers aren't really all that efficient.
And, a little sound goes a long way.

And of course, over a certain range of frequencies, the radiation from the speaker is hemispherical (if it is mounted in a cabinet) so you get even more bang for your buck if you are standing in front of it.

M

--
Dr Michael F Platten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back