Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ACR Tubing for the Metric lands

Status
Not open for further replies.

MintJulep

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2003
JP
Here in the US when specifying copper tubing for Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (ACR) use we often require that the tubing conform to:

ASTM B280 - 08 Standard Specification for Seamless Copper Tube for Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Field Service.

This standard defines the material composition, dimensions, cleanliness and other pertinent characteristics.

The dimensions are all for nominal inch size tubing.

So far I'm having no luck finding an equivalent standard for nominal Metric tubing size.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you need standard as a reference to dimensions only, or to cover all aspects of refrigeration tubing requirements?

If latter is the case, I believe there is no single standard in EU area that covers all requirements, but EN 12449 are used for general copper tube requirements and EN 378 series for safety, installation and other aspects of refrigeration systems.

As regards to dimensions, ACR spec. dimensions are exclusively used for refrigeration piping, measures are sometimes expressed in milimeters, but only as translation of inch measures, so you have no trouble to specify everything in inch measures.

Do not use EN 1057, as it is not for refrigeration!

Hm, I did not mention EN 12735-1, which I do not use much as I feel it as ASTM B280 rewritten, but there you can find inch translations to milimeters.

For majority of metalic pipes intended for fluid transmission, nominal diameter is traditionally derived from multiples of inch. Reference to adequate standard, however, have to be specified.

For refrigeration piping, I am prone to think there is one single global standard, and variations of it which are not in contradiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back