Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active Solid Edge Forums 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richcad

Aerospace
Aug 20, 2007
US
Does anyone know of any other sites with active Solid Edge forums/discussions besides this one?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The UGS one, I actually found it a bit too busy to be really useful.

Plus most of the people there only care about what Solid Edge can do, not how Solid Edge should be used. At least some of the posters here think beyond just SE, plus I'm on here anyway looking at other forums.

There are other sites you can post questions, not forums as such. I don't have the info to hand but I'll try and remember to post it later.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I must disagree with KENAT's comments regarding the UGS sponsored newgroup. Not for the sake of arguing but for the sake of the Richcad who appears to be looking for other resources.

As Swertel pointed out you need an active maintenance contract and a Webkey ID to participate in the newgroup. If you have these then you can access the group via the Solid Edge help menu. Subscribe to the groups that you wish but at the minimum subscribe to the misc, and binaries group.

On the UGS sponsored groups you will find some of the most helpful, experience and talented Solid Edge users in the world. In addition you will get assistance from members of the SE development team.

Maybe KENAT could expand on his comments, "found it a bit too busy to be really useful" and "most of the people there only care about what Solid Edge can do, not how Solid Edge should be used". It's possible that he and I are talking about 2 completely different groups.

I used it quite a bit for a few months last year.

"found it a bit too busy to be really useful"

I had trouble keeping track of some threads/questions I'd posted, also they sometimes got moved to the second or third page before I got/saw what I needed so people quit posting to them and I didn't get a completely satisfactory answer.

"most of the people there only care about what Solid Edge can do, not how Solid Edge should be used"

This is aimed at not just that site but also attendees at the conference I went to last year and even UGS/Siemans staff and almost every CAD trainer/seller etc (not just SE)I've ever dealt with. Many features have implications on configuration control/adherance to industry drafting practices/design intent etc which either isn't addressed or at least is addressed inadequately.

For my needs/desires I've found this site better, others will I'm sure disagree.

"Many features have implications on configuration control/adherance to industry drafting practices/design intent etc which either isn't addressed or at least is addressed inadequately"

So true. As CAD software gets more powerful you end of with 5-6 different ways to do the same thing. Problem is knowing the ramifications of each method. New users especially can dig themselves into a hole without knowing it.

"found it a bit too busy to be really useful"

I had trouble keeping track of some threads/questions I'd posted, also they sometimes got moved to the second or third page before I got/saw what I needed so people quit posting to them and I didn't get a completely satisfactory answer.

OH. So you viewed it via the html webpage rather than subscribing through a newsreader. If I had to use the web interface for their newsgroup, I wouldn't follow it either. Set up your newsreader to log into their newsgroup and I think you'll be much happier with it.

--Scott

ksudavid, so it's not just me, sometimes I wonder.

Swertel, thanks for the tip but without looking into it I don't understand what you mean, I'm a luddite remember;-)

You have a news reader such as Outlook Express, Groupwise, or Thunderbird, I assume.

Depending on which client you have, follow its instructions (help file) to create a new account. The type of account will be news.

You can get the server name/address via UGS' website. The server does require you to log in. Type in your webkey and password.

If you need specific help, send me an email and let me know which email/news client you use.

--Scott

OK, now it's making sense. We have Outlook at work which I've never played with that stuff on, leave it up to IT. I've done it with outlook express for hotmail accounts etc at home though. I may take a look if I have time.

Thanks Scott

I hate UGS groups. Their web interface is appalling and completely counter-productive.

The alternative swertel talks about is IMHO only marginally better. Using a newsreader means that you have to download messages into your hard drive, and manage them. Apart from the fact that this is incredibly archaic (it's basically how the internet started decades ago), well I have enough managing my emails. I can't understand why UGS has not tranfered their forums to modern web interfaces like the one here. I think even Autodesk has moved to web forums.

Sorry for the rant.

P.S. Tominsky, the Solid Edge forum at 3dcadforums has near to no activity, unfortunately.

I have no complaints about the UGS newsgroups. I can download them
with Mozilla and he will keep track of them (read/unread and order)
On a web forum I have to be online to read and I've to pay for
every minute ...
Most web forums have the downside of not being able to correct
a posting after it has been submitted.

dy

does anyone get the UGS newsgroups by e-mail?

I agree that the web interface sucks but this isn't the place to get it changed. Put in an Enhancement request with UGS.

I tried swertel's suggestion and tried them with a newsreader it is much better.

The best thing about the UGS newsgroups is that UGS reads them and will occasionally respond.

Hi,

also possible with the UGS NGs via newsreader: you may cancel your
own posting even when there is already a follow-up. With
Mozilla I select the posting within the NG (on my PC) RMB
'delete' and it will cancel the message on the server.
The eMail address (as specified within the NG-Account on your
PC) must match of course

dy

Well, just dropped by to present my "mea culpa". I set up Thunderbird to read UGS newsgroups, and you were both right (swertel & donyoung), it's a lot easier to follow now.

I would definitely recommend using the Outlook newsreader to access the Solid Edge newsgroup. The web interface is clunky. I had used Outlook for a few years and then had problems one day and had to resort to the web version of the newsgroup. It was a pain. I finally got Outlook Express set up to access the newsgroup. Using a newsreader is much more efficient.

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back