Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Actual Finish and Duration are Whacky

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBrooklyn

Specifier/Regulator
Jun 12, 2002
US
1. I have subtasks that are supposed to last 7 days each and you have to finish one to start the next. I have entered actual start and finish dates on the tasks completed so far. They all took longer than 7 days. Durations are being generated that seem to make no sense in relation to the task.

I don't understand where these seemingly whacky Durations are coming from. Can anyone advise?

2. The next subtask begins today as the last task ended yesterday. Under Update Tasks/Current, Start is 4/23 which is today and is correct. Finish is labled as 5/13 and does not have an option for me to change it. 5/13 is incorrect. Duration is correctly labled 7 days. Remaining duration is correctly labled 7 days.

What is up with this screwy Finish Date?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Verify your calendar working time is all OK. EFFORT might be 7 days of work, but because of holidays, weekends, and resource vacation or other non-working time the DURATION is more. That's the first thing that comes to mind.

TygerDawg

how do I verify calendar is OK? What is effort? I verified all holidays and weekends are in white (working days.) Work is every day.

Whats the next thing that comes to your mind?

The project has a default calendar, but also each resource has a calendar. Must verify all the time that you expect to be available IS available.

If this is done and you can't get your project to behave the way you want it, then it's time to start digging. MSProject is extremely powerful and that means extremely complex. Luckily there is a world of useful resources beyond this forum out there on the web. This one doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic.

TygerDawg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back