Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Actuated Valves for Steam, Natural gas, Oxygen service 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premod

Specifier/Regulator
Sep 25, 2003
FR
Hi,
If someone could help me on this.
Is it recommended to use only a globe type valve for steam service (On-Off & control application) or could we use Ball valves for the same as well.
For Natural gas services is it recommended to go for Ball valves only irrespective of the line size (above 10")Could we use Fire safe Butterfly valves.
For Oxygen service is there any recommendation on the type of valve to be used.
Hope someone can help me on this.
Thanks,
Premod

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For steam and Gas - Try and use the Tripple Offset Valves
(Tyco - Vanessa and others)
We are using them succesfully for both applications.
Do not know about Oxygen!!

For O2 applications, u might wish to consider the fluid medium:

i. O2-Gas: valves of ductile iron/SS with rubber (i.e. NBR) seating will suffice;
ii. O2-Liquid (-297DegF): 316SS disc with teflon seating will be good.

I hope this will help in a little way.

Premod,
in general terms, I think triple-offset metal seated butterfly valves, with the appropriate materials selection and devices, are suitable for all of the three applications you mention (of course, further information about service conditions is needed for a costs comparison and a definitive answer).
In any case, try visiting the Manufacturers' websites I listed in Thread408-64692 (see my reply of Aug 4, 2003).
Hope this helps, 'NGL

For steam service, it depend on the pipe sizes, pressures and temperatures of your application. If you are talking about less than 100 psi steam and pipe sizes less than 2", then commercially available threaded globe valves (with stainless trim) are the most cost effective solution and will provide excellent throttling service. Using a high performance metal seated butterfly valve would cost big bucks and are really only good for 2-position service.

If you are talking about 2" to 6" pipes, then commercial flanged globe/cage valves are excellent for steam. DeZURIK makes a good pressure balanced globe/cage valve for steam up to 150 psid.

Ball valves would be OK for on/off but not modulating control, in smaller pipe sizes. The new "characterized" ball valves available in the commercial industry are not rated for steam.

Can't help you with your other media questions.

It all depends what job you require the valve to perform and the process conditions you have to manage that governs the valve choice.
Personally, I would look at the process conditions and the desired function of the valve then make my decision.
Certain plant specific regulations my restrict the valve specifications but beyond this its down to picking the best technical and commercial solution from everything that is available.

Fog Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back