Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADA Grading - level landings in sidewalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggie83

Civil/Environmental
Jul 23, 2015
US
Hello,

I am a designer in land development (California) and have a question regarding grading to meet ADA requirements. I have read through the California Building Code, Chapter 11B, Sections 1-5, which talk about site accessible paths for building access, which cover required geometry and grading requirements for curb ramps, ramps, sidewalks, parking stalls, door thresholds, etc. Nowhere have I found provisions for where a level landing (square space where 1:48 max grade in any direction) is and is not warranted for acute intersections of sidewalk. I thought there was some provision out there where if your change in direction of travel (call it angle X) was less than a certain threshold, that you would not need a level landing and would just need to hold to the 1:20 max longitudinal slope and 1:48 max cross slope.

I am pretty sure the building code would drive this design. Let me know if I'm too far off the beaten path.

Thanks,

Noah Ramos
LPA, Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know CA has it's own ADA code, but perhaps you are thinking of 405.7.4 from the DOJ ADA??

Ramps that change direction between runs at landings shall have a clear landing of 60x60 inches minimum.

While I'm not familiar with CA rules, ADA rules are pretty vague. If you are staying 5% slope you avoid ramps and no clear definition of "change in direction" is given for normal run of accessible path. The way I've interpreted it is that as long as you maintain the 2% cross slope, the landing is not called for. So if a wheel chair needs to take a 90 degree turn, they would be sitting at a 5% cross slope when turning so you would need a landing of 2% in all directions. If it is a continuous run with a 25 degree deflection, you could work your way out of this with a continuous 2% cross slope. So it becomes a case by case and cover your butt basis.
BS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back