Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ada Ramp Landing requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

see_gen_notes

Civil/Environmental
Feb 4, 2016
US
I am designing a 1:12 ramp that slopes up 3/4" to cover a gap discrepancy in the construction. The issue I have is at the top of my ramp is a 1/4" plate that's only 24" long. According to section 405.7 I need a 60" long landing which "changes in level is not premitted". Well section 304.2 states this:

"Advisory 304.2 Floor or Ground Surface Exception. As used in this section, the phrase “changes in level” refers to surfaces with slopes and to surfaces with abrupt rise exceeding that permitted in Section 303.3. Such changes in level are prohibited in required clear floor and ground spaces, turning spaces, and in similar spaces where people using wheelchairs and other mobility devices must park their mobility aids such as in wheelchair spaces, or maneuver to use elements such as at doors, fixtures, and telephones. The exception permits slopes not steeper than 1:48."

Which section 303.3 changes in level less than 1/2" as acceptable. So am I in the clear or would I have to push back my ramp to make a 60" landing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back