Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADAMS Full car Dynamic analysis error // Steering-controller issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanmay_Panchal

Automotive
Nov 13, 2019
IN
Hi everyone,

This can be considered as a followup on my last thread : HERE

Big shout-out to GregLocock for patiently helping the forums if you are reading this.

Anyways, apart from last development on templates. I was also able to solve the car pulling issue, apparently it was due to some incompatible tyre models which I changed. It seems newer 2018 ADAMS doesn't like if you just copy and paste old 2014 worked files. In the video below, one can see I was finally able to refine the model and even add graphics.

Link

So now I am able to run all the open loop steering control events. By open loop I mean events which are governed without any feedback from the events itself (like J turn, double lane change with maximum radius path, straight line acceleration, braking, maintain, etc...).

Only two creases are still left. I am not able to run any closed loop events. Events like double lane change with Default controller and 3D road, as well as skidpad holds which also takes feedback from events manipulating the throttle brake and steering demands. Looking at the messages it seems like there is some sort of PID control coded to make this happen, this is what is causing my model to give the error of lockup.

I am enclosing an image of a typical setup of DLC with just default controller (which crashes, crash file messages also enclosed as txt) and same DLC run with Max Radius path controller, running fine as shown in video.

It would be great if you guys can point me where to look, I am looking at DCF and DCD files but they are also not giving me much clues to start with. Besides it works if there is no sort of feedback but crashes immediately with feedback. In-fact if I apply straight line control to steering for maintain, it crashes because again it is taking some sort of feedback to keep the car straight.

I wish to understand the implementation of this control and how it can possible affect my simulation?

Goal is to make a universal FSAE template which can run any 3d course or follow path like the Ferrari model in there.

1_tonmpp.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey Greg,

Yeah, I was able to run the inbuilt Testarossa on hold radius maneuver like a skid pad event and give a 180 degree steering as the end criteria. Same maneuver couldn't be handled in my FSAE car.

Now that you have asked, I am curious. I will update if I am able to run the same on a 3D course to see if it can handle full sim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back