Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add comments about features 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan89

Automotive
Dec 14, 2012
IN
Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of adding comments about features in Model History but its not possible in NX7.5 or I don`t know.
Is there any solution for adding instructions with features.

Many thanks in advance!
Ishant

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

Assign attribute groups and managed attribute groups to an object.

To do this, right-click the object/feature and choose properties,and assign the attribute group or managed attribute group.

Thanks,
Mathi K
NX 9.0.3.4

Turn on the part navigator "comment" column (if it isn't visible already): right click in some white space in the left margin of the part navigator, choose "columns", and check the "comments" option.

To add a comment to a feature: right click on the feature of interest, choose "properties", on the "feature attributes" tab create a string attribute with the title "comment" and OK the dialog. The text entered for the comment attribute will now show up in the part navigator.

www.nxjournaling.com

Thanks you all for the answers,

For me the reply from Mr.Cowski is the solution for now and really appreciate all the answers.

Once again thank you very much.

Yes, PrintScaffold is correct, and interestingly enough, when you do that the 'Comment' attribute will be created automatically. So whether you do as cowski suggested or PrintScoffold, the results will be exactly the same.

Sometimes we actually get that 'consistency' thing right ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

A star to PrintScaffold. I thought there should be a way to directly edit the comment, but right clicking wasn't working for me...

By "left click once", it means left click and hold the button down until the edit box appears.

www.nxjournaling.com

Except that the 'Comment' assigned to an Expression has no attribute capabilities. The only reason that we can do this with a Feature is because that Comment would be unique to that Feature. In other words, there is a one-to-one relationship with something that can have an assigned Attribute. That is not the case with Expressions.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I was alluding to the "left click and hold" in the comment cell to edit the comment (features) as opposed to the right click -> edit comment (expressions).

That said, expressions can have attributes the same as features; just there is no mechanism to edit them in the GUI.

www.nxjournaling.com

I just realized that cowski's question might actually have been about being able to edit an Expression 'Comment' by performing the simple 'left-mouse button' gesture rather than an explicit 'Edit Comment' command.

If that was the case, while I don't know for sure yet, but there's a project in the next version of NX which will be making some significant changes in the presentation of the expression dialog including a lot more direct access to the 'cells', much like when working in a spreadsheet, at least that's how I've read it to be, but I've not yet gotten my hand on any alpha code yet, however when I do, this is one of the first things I want to start playing with.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Actually Expressions cannot have Attributes assigned to them explicitly, just that you can set the value of an Expression to be the same as an Attribute or vice versa.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

JohnRBaker said:
Actually Expressions cannot have Attributes assigned to them explicitly

My apologies to Mr. Baker, he is correct. While the API documentation lists methods to assign and retrieve attributes for expressions (and the code will compile without error), you will get a runtime error if you attempt to actually use the methods. Something to the effect that it is "not currently supported".

In the future, I'll be sure to test my claims more thoroughly instead of believing the documentation. [glasses]

www.nxjournaling.com

coawski, there were a lot of things that we could do with Attributes via NXOpen that was not always considered kosher.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back