Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Add separate keyboard and mouse to Netbook computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmchi

Electrical
Jun 30, 2003
US
Hi, I am preparing to buy a netbook computer [those smaller and simpler laptop computers] in the coming holiday season. My purpose is to take it travelling with me. However, when I am home, I want to hook it up to a LCD display that I have and the conventional keyboard and mouse so I can work in my usual comfort.

Can you guys tell me that I can get these requirements complied with and will have many to choose from ? I have briefly checked the specs and most netbook computers seem to have VGA output connector. I could not confirm about external keyboard/mouse connector .. Will I have to get wireless keyboard/mouse ?

Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From what I understand in your message, you should not need a KVM switch. A KVM switch is to use the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse on more than 1 computer.

As IRstuff said, you can connect the keyboard and mouse to USB ports instead of the old dedicated keyboard and mouse ports (PS2). Every netbook I have seen has USB ports, and comes loaded with windows or linux OS (which has the needed drivers).

A VGA port is needed to connect an external monitor (I think this is a common feature). Make sure your monitor has a VGA port as well. I think they are starting to make some LCD monitors with only a DVI port and I am not sure if you can convert VGA to DVI.

You should be fine. Just make sure you have a usb keyboard and mouse to use with it. Some netbooks (though rare) only have one usb port, so if thats the case get a little usb hub for it.

And as far as the monitor goes, make sure your monitor has a vga connection and not just dvi. Also that you have a vga cable, some newer monitors just come with dvi or only have a dvi cable.

Enjoy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back